March 2017 Meeting Highlights
COBWRA DELEGATES MEETING
AT VALENCIA LAKES • March 15, 2017
Valencia Lakes DELEGATE SY SHTAB introduced HOA President HELENE UNGER who welcomed the Delegates, commented on their new free-standing Café, and thanked COBWRA for the organization’s assistance in Valencia Lakes’ recent negotiations with FPL for the conversion of their POD lighting to LED.
President GLEN HARVIE announced that the Strategic Planning Committee is currently tweaking the Plan to reflect the future needs of COBWRA.
ELECTED OFFICIALS’ REPORTS
- MICHELLE MCGOVERN, State Director for US Senator Bill Nelson recommended that constituents who wish to contact the Senator’s office should call or write to the local office, as requests received in that office are processed more quickly than those received in Washington. She also announced that Senator Nelson has again filed a bill to allow Medicare to negotiate the cost of prescription drugs.
Senator Bill Nelson
413 Clematis Street Suite 210
West Palm Beach, FL 33446
- COMMISSIONER DAVID KERNER complimented the COBWRA Tallahassee Delegation for a very positive and interactive experience during Palm Beach County Days in the Legislature.
FIRST RESPONDER’S REPORT
CAPTAIN CHRIS KEANE announced:
- That the Citizen’s Police Academy is going very well
- That another shredding event is being planned
- That the Department has a special unit addressing the drag racing and speeding on US 441, resulting so far in 152 citations written, 10 criminal citations issued, and 5 arrests.
ELECTION OF 2017/2018 OFFICERS
With no nominations from the floor being made at the February meeting, President Harvie called for an acclamation vote for the slate presented by the Nominating Committee:
PRESIDENT MYRNA ROSOFF
1ST VP PHIL BARLAGE
2ND VP BRUCE BRODSKY
SECRETARY DEBBIE MURPHY
TREASURER BETH MILLER
GROWTH MANAGEMENT REPORT
COMMITTEE CHAIR STEVE OSEROFF presented a project at the northwest intersection of Boynton Beach Boulevard and Military trail, adjacent to the rear entrance to Platina. The project includes a 7-ELEVEN convenience store and gas pumps. County codes permit convenience stores to sell beer from 7:00 a.m. through 5:00 a.m. the following day.
The GROWTH MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE and EXECUTIVE BOARD recommended approval of the project with the condition that no beer or wine is to be sold between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. The Delegates also voted to recommend approval with the same condition.
SPECIAL PRESENTATION…FLORIDA TURNPIKE EXPANSIONS WITHIN COBWRA’S SERVICE AREA
MICHAEL SHANNON, Director of Transportation Development, Florida Turnpike Enterprise presented complex and far reaching plans for the expansion of Florida’s Turnpike. The initial project will be the addition of paid Express Lanes between Boynton Beach Boulevard and Lake Worth Road.
A PUBLIC MEETING on this project will be held at the West Boynton Recreation Center, 6000 Northtree Blvd. (adjacent to Park Vista High School) on May 2, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. For information, contact Victoria Williams at 954-934-1104 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
FUTURE DELEGATES MEETINGS
- INSTALLATION OF OFFICERS: Wednesday, April 19, 9:30 a.m. at Banyan Springs
- LEGISLATIVE UPDATE with State Senator Jeff Clemens, State Senator Kevin Rader, State Representative Joseph Abruzzo and State Representative Emily Slosberg, Wednesday, May 17, 9:30 a.m. at Bellaggio
- SEVERE WEATHER UPDATE PRESENTED BY WPBF-25 METEOROLOGIST MIKE LYONS: Wednesday, June 21, 9:30 a.m. at Coral Lakes